Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A heart to heart.....

I presented last night at Jewish Hospital to a group of patients and family members recovering from Heart Trauma. Many had had bypass surgeries and most had pacemakers. Limited discussion revealed that most were probably on statins for high cholesterol and there was concern for how to manage stress and relax. They were an amazing group. Some had embraced their trauma as the beginning of a new life and were grateful for their extra days. Some were still fearful and suffering through their event. I was struck by how strange it must be to live with a device in your body that you are dependent upon for your survival. The miracle of that device was more present in the eyes of the family members there to support their loved ones.

They were a gracious group. The things we think and do in yoga can seem quite strange to the uninitiated. Meditation in particular can appear difficult and until you have the actual experience of it over time, you can't fully appreciate the benefits to your mind, body and soul. An Ayurvedic lifestyle also seems foreign and some of it contradicts what we have done our whole lives. I, of course, believe it to be the most easy and intelligent lifestyle to follow.

There was resistance especially around food which I found interesting. I have been blessed to have never suffered from a heart situation, but I have suffered a back injury years ago. I view my back injury as a gift from the heavens, a wake up call to forcefully tell me that the choices I was making for my life were no longer working. Taking care of my body and learning to manage my stress levels became very very important to me as my desire to move away from pain and fear were very strong. It wasn't easy to embrace all the changes. I had to learn new things like yoga and meditation which took time and practice. I had to learn about different foods, how to shop and reinvent my kitchen skills. I even had to give up some friends that didn't support my need to be more healthy and stress free. It was hard and sometimes emotionally painful.

I think the hardest part, however, was taking responsibility for all the choices that I had made in the past to get me to the point where I could barely walk and was living with chronic pain. It was the hardest part and the most liberating. Once my brain wrapped around the notion that my choices of the past had gotten me into my situation, I knew that my choices of the present could get me out of it.

I don't expect everyone to wrap themselves up like a pretzel every day. I don't expect that people will sit in lotus position and meditate for an hour each day. I don't expect that people will never enjoy a cold beer, a cup of coffee or a piece of chocolate cake ever again either. I do wish, however, that people would wake up everyday with gratitude for the grace of God that they are walking this planet. I do wish that people would always choose the more nourishing choice for their body and mind. I do wish that people would simply try to incorporate some of the following into their life to manage stress and heal the inside of their bodies. Here's my wish list:

My Wish for Your Body
  • Get up and go to bed around the same time each day.
  • Eat 3 meals a day, around the same time.
  • Eliminate red meat entirely from your diet. Choose chicken or fish.
  • Eat at least 1 vegetarian meal per day...2 would be better. Remember that the food pyramid suggests only 3 - 5 servings of meat per week.
  • Replace cow's milk with rice, almond or soy milk.
  • Remind yourself that caffeine, alcohol and sugar are not food.
  • Favor fresh veggies and fruit that are organic and grown local...they taste better.
  • Eat beans.
  • Eat whole grains...try something new like bulgar wheat
  • Drink ginger tea.

My Wish for your Mind
  • When your eyes open in the morning...be grateful.
  • When your eyes close at night...be grateful.
  • Spend some time outside each day. Enjoy the birds, the flowers and the trees.
  • Go for a nice walk every single day. You can combine that with the above.
  • Spend time in silence. Turn off the TV, the radio and the cell phone.
  • Surround yourself with loving people.
  • Make mealtime a time to relax and enjoy.
  • Meditate...10 minutes a day..."so hum".
  • Say nice things to yourself and others.
  • Find something inspirational to read. Never stop learning.
  • Know that you are walking this planet for a reason. You are important.
  • Help and Serve others. Be the person to get the door, to talk nicely to the grumpy people and to forgive others that they aren't living the life of their dreams and therefore trying to cause you stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment