Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sadhana

It's early morning in Malibu and I'm sitting at a picnic table overlooking the expanse of the Pacific Ocean and enjoying a nice cup of coffee. I like mornings on vacation because it is the only time that you can actually get a little peace and quiet. Family vacations are fun and there is nothing like spending a week in an airstream trailor to rekindle "closeness".

I love my family. I love my solitude.

This week has been a bit challenging for me. My 40 day practice started and I sincerely view this 40 day practice to be of the utmost importance. It begins the next 20 years of my life (yours too!). You know how I love to manifest and the energy upon us now is truly going to determine the outcome of my life (and yours). I had big plans for yoga, meditation and writing. Now that I look back on it, my plans included a daily Spiritual practice of about 4 hours.

I spent a few days very frustrated and then sitting on a surfboard moving with the waves I remembered one very important detail; a Sadhana is a "spiritual practice". A Sadhana is any spiritual practice. A Sadhana is done with awareness of God and devotion to God and it can be anything that you are doing with focused attention on loving kindness for God.

Sitting on a surfboard feeling the saltwater lapping at your knees, closing your eyes and trusting King Neptune to bring you a groovy wave with total focus and connection to God is Sadhana. Deeply listening to the morning report of each child's very amazing, very detailed and very very long dreams with total focus and connection to God is Sadhana. Making a pb&j, shaking sand from a towel, getting lost in the night sky, letting sand sift through your fingers and wondering how it got there, jumping for joy each and every time you see a seal, a dolphin, a seagull, looking on your fellow humans and wondering about their life...marveling at their existence. Sadhana.

Yesterday, I meditated on the beach. My children played frisbee over my head. They thought it was funny...it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment