Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Find Meaningful Work

Live as if you were living already for the second time ~ Vince Lombardi 

Last night I was teaching Week 3 of the Elemental Cleanse Course to my teachers in training.  Week 3 is fun because we have the opportunity to talk about Dharma or Life's Purpose.  Dharma is the idea that you incarnate in this realm to serve some specific purpose through the daily work that you do.  Finding meaningful work where you express your unique skills and talents in the capacity of service to humanity fosters happiness.

Tapping into Dharma is about getting up every single day of your life and LOVING the drive to work.  It's about being passionate about what you do.  It's about helping others.  We spend an exorbitant amount of time at work, so you know how important it is to be happy at work. Many have had the experience of serving a job that they were not happy in.  It takes a toll on your whole life including your emotional and physical health.

As I was speaking, I was picturing that last breath that each of us will take.  I imagined how your life flashes before your eyes.  For a moment, I was sad as I imagined a person greeting death, looking back, and not feeling like they had really embraced their life.  Don't do that.

Instead, tap into your skills and talents.  What are you naturally good at?  What do you do well?  What do you get lost in?  What activities do you engage in where time seems to stand still? Of course, I have yoga centers and teach health and wellness for my work.  I also have my own business and that means freedom to come and go.  I get to help people feel better all day every day.  It's an awesome job and I'm in my dharma.  I know that sounds fun and obvious, but what you might not know is that I used to be a CPA (certified public accountant.)  Each morning, as an auditor, I would slip on my suit, grab my briefcase, fight traffic and head off to a client to audit their books.  

If you've ever been audited, you can imagine.  You can also imagine that you aren't the most popular person in the building.  It's a tough job and requires about a 12 - 14 hour day most days.  There's extensive travel and the pay is lousy.

I LOVED IT!!!

I was great at it.  You see, I took my job very seriously.  As a CPA, I knew that I was keeping the financial reporting system honest.  I also knew that I was helping the company to improve systems and flow.  I loved the travel and meeting new people.  I  was thrilled to have a stack of papers a mile high in front of me, to bury myself in it and to come up for air at the end of the day.  I was young and vibrant and loaded with responsibility which translated to "power" in my young mind.   

There was nothing spiritual about being a CPA.  Still, I was in my dharma.  Think about that.

Om Shanti,  Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment