Thursday, April 8, 2010

I've never met a problem I can't fix

My son, Elliott, turned 13 today. For his birthday he wanted to go see the new IMAX movie, IMAX Under the Sea. It's playing at the Museum Center here in Cincinnati. The movie was beautiful. It was all about sea life and gorgeously filmed. About 3/4 of the way into the movie they started talking about the devastating effect global warming is having on our seas and our sea life.

The reefs are dying and so are thousands of species of animals. Did you know that there are only 10,000 sea lions native to the Australian Reef left? As I was hearing this bad news and seeing the destruction, huge tears welled up in my eyes. It's just so sad. I looked over to my 13 year old son and saw that he too had huge tears in his eyes. That gorgeous little creature that I brought into this planet was crying on his 13th birthday because our generation and the generations before us have destroyed his playground.

That's when I really started crying. We left the theater with Mama in tears and everyone else choking them back. I don't understand why I was the only one in such a state of grief. I don't know why everyone wasn't crying. I cried all the way home.

As I drove home, I went back to my personal mantra which is "I've never met a problem I can't fix". I never have. I'm going to fix this for my son and my daughter. I am going to consume less. I'm not turning my air conditioner on. I'm planting a garden that flourishes. I will make full use of my rain barrel and by compost bin. I will consolidate trips and do less. I will spread the word.

I've started a new group on Facebook. You can find it if you search "Consuming less...one day at a time." Please join the group. It's simply about embracing the challenge to consume only used, recycled, reclaimed and refurbished goods. It's about making a choice daily and awakening that part of you that wants to nourish the planet. The rules are simple. Just get up every day and choose to not consume. If you must have something new, buy it from a Company that has best practices, choose organic, sustainable, fair trade and free trade. I can fix this problem. I need your help.

All our kids deserve a playground.

No comments:

Post a Comment