Saturday, September 18, 2010

A magical cure....Ginger



Most days of my life you will see me walking around with an insulated water bottle. In the bottle is one of my favorite cleansing secrets…ginger tea. I make my own by simply boiling water and pouring it over some fresh grated ginger. When I get bored, I may add some lemon or a tea bag of some other flavor. I find that the ginger tea keeps my digestive fire high. It soothes me when my tummy hurts and I find it very effective at soothing the cramps I get “once a month”. Every sip is also a wonderful reminder to me to make good choices and to nourish my digestive fire.


When you begin the practice of drinking herbal tea 24/7, you will notice that you become very thirsty and that you are urinating ALL the time. This only lasts for 2 – 3 days and then your body will be done with that initial flush of toxins.


I also have a practice of taking some “Ginger Elixer” prior to eating my meals. I find that it begins to heat up my digestion before I’ve taken my first bite. Honestly, the smell of it alone will fill my mouth with saliva and make my tummy start to grumble.


Ginger Elixer:

Peel and grate a nice chunk of ginger root.

Add organic salt or sea salt to taste. (a tsp or so)

Add lemon or lime juice to cover.

Shake the mixture up and put it in the fridge to marinate.

The Elixer will last in the fridge for up to 5 weeks. It gets spicier as it marinates. 15 minutes prior to your meal simply take a little pinch of it. You can also add it to whatever you are cooking.


Ginger is one of those herbs that simply make everything better. You can hardly find an herbal holistic cure coming out of India that doesn’t have some ginger in it. Ginger is thought to enhance other herbs and bring out their healing properties. In Ayurveda, ginger is deemed “sattvic” which means that it is pure. It is used to tame the Wind in your body, invigorate the Earth and stoke that Fire! It’s heating and its wonderful for digestion.


Ginger is commonly used to treat nausea and vomiting, not only in day to day life, but also in patients being treated with chemotherapy. Researchers from the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center have found that ginger not only kills cancer cells, it also prevents them from building up resistance to cancer treatment.

The American Cancer Society, concurs wit UM having done preliminary research on animals that show ginger may be useful in treating cancer through chemotherapy.

In a double-blind, comparative test at Brigham Young University, Utah, researchers found ginger root to be more effective in coping with motion sickness than the popular, over-the-counter drug, Dramamine.


Cornell University study reveals that gingerol, an active ingredient in ginger, prevents abnormal blood coagulation, guarding against heart attacks.


Ginger is used holistically for the following

cold and flu


vomiting

indigestion


burbing and gas

abdominal discomfort from gas and bloating


abdominal discomfort from menstruation

arthritis


hemorrhoids

headaches


heart disease

diarrhea


cold, cough and flu

asthma


bronchitis

depression


mental stress

exhaustion


restlessness and anxiety

No comments:

Post a Comment