Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Conversation with God

I few days ago some of my students and I were talking after class and the question of spirit and ultimately the question of faith came up. They wanted to understand how I could have such a certainty that there exists a spirit that is truly an interactive part of my life.

My realization of spirit really began around the age of 13 when my father moved away from the family home. My sister had also moved away which left my mother and I on our own. My mother suffered greatly through her divorce and although she meant well for me, I found myself alone a lot. I found solace in my school work and after school jobs, but I was a lonely kid. I had few friends. Something about having a sister, a father and finally an extended family leave you as a child makes you a little shy to reach out to others. There’s always a sense that they will leave you.

I remember going to bed one night very sad. I laid in my bed crying and wishing that everything would go back to normal. I also remember being grateful that my dad was gone and that made me feel guilty. He drank a lot and could be very dark. Feeling lonely, I pulled my blankets tight around me and pretended that the hands of God were wrapped around me. In the embrace of that blanket, I felt spirit. I just felt calm and certain that everything was just as it should be. I felt that I wasn’t alone. I felt comforted. I also felt that larger forces were at play and that my life was going to be friggin’ awesome.

It was really that simple for me. Since then, I’ve had a dialogue with spirit that has deepened with my Yoga practice and my Meditation. I don’t see Angels or auras and God forbid I ever see a gnome or fairy because that’s going to freak me out. I do find that spirit speaks to me syncronistically through poetry, songs and books. I tend to meet the right people at the right time. I tend to know what other people are feeling and have a gift for saying the right things. All of this I attribute to spirit. It’s a simple quiet relationship.

My recommendation for starting your relationship with spirit would be to simply start talking. It will feel funny at first. Give God a personality and just start sharing. My God is old and wise and thinks it’s funny when I cuss him out. You will be surprised when you realize it’s a two way conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment