Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What to read

People are always asking me what I am currently reading as I tend to take my studies into my yoga classes. At the present, I am focused on "The Thursday Night Tarot" by Jason C. Lotterhand. I'm loving it. It is simply put and makes tarot accessible for anyone regardless of where they are in their journey.

Lots of people believe Tarot is about predicting the future. While it can be used for that, this book is not about that. This book is about the spiritual journey that a person goes on in his search for enlightenment. Each card represents an Archetype that lives inside you in your subconscious and outside you in our culture. You begin with the Fool and work through the deck until you get to the World. When I say work, I mean you meditate and study each card. The universe does the rest.

The point is to learn about yourself. In his book, Lotterhand says: "The goal is to be yourself. It's hard to be something if you don't know what it is. The work is basically an attempt to explain ourself to ourselves. This means having detailed knowledge of yourself, not just in principle but in detail, with all the ins and outs." To me, this is yoga.

I'm still explaining myself to my myself. I learn and grow everyday. I enjoy surprising myself sometimes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment