Thursday, August 6, 2009

Your Best Life

I'm a Vata so I have the attention span of a flea. I got really excited this month with I saw Oprah's Best Life Contest. I didn't realize that this has been going on for years as I don't watch the show regularly. Anyhow, in my Vata distracted way, I assumed you would need to write an essay about your best life...so I did. Later, I couldn't figure out how to even put my name in for the sweepstakes. There was some requirement for a magic word which meant you need to watch the show. Anyhow....here is my essay. I think I would have won!

My name is Pamela Quinn. I am 40 years old. I’m divorced. I have 2 kids, 2 dogs and a cat. I’ve tossed all caution to the wind and used every bit of my alimony and more to open a yoga studio in Lebanon, Ohio. It’s called Elemental OM and is just around the corner from Ohio’s oldest hotel. It’s cute and comfy and we do lots of good work here on our hearts and souls.

My favorite program that I teach is called the Elemental Immersion. It is a 28 day detox program based in Ayurveda. We eliminate accumulated physical, emotional and spiritual toxins. It’s a magical program. Typically, participants will lose 6 - 12 pounds of body weight in 28 days. The emotional weight loss is immeasurable. Part of the program includes the task of writing your story. I encourage people to be mythical and large and to put their dreams on paper.

Your sweepstakes caught my eye because, while I encourage my students to do exactly this as part of the Immersion, I personally haven’t taken the time lately to be mythical or to focus on my own story. I’m busy teaching and helping people heal. I’m busy with kids and pets. I’m busy learning and reading so that I can help others. I’ve worked so hard to realize the “best life” that I’m sitting in that I’ve neglected my own future. So here goes....

It’s morning. I wake up and untangle myself from the arms of my amazingly gorgeous, fun, creative, intelligent and insightful soul mate. We are tangled in a mass of organic bamboo sheets. My feet hit the reclaimed hardwood floor of my eco-home which is situated on a beautiful piece of land with a pond. I hear chickens in the yard. I hear dogs barking and playing.

I wash my face, brush my teeth and make my way to my meditation hut. It sits just on the edge of the pond and is surrounded by mature trees and flowers. I wrap a blankie around me and settle in to connect with my soul.

The smell of french press coffee brings me back to myself and after saying Namaste to my turtles and frogs I return to my kitchen. Music is playing sweetly. My kids and their friends are there and I cook everyone an awesome breakfast before I get ready for my big day.

Today is special because my healing center is having its grand opening. Our cute little studio got so jammed pack full of people that we had to get a bigger space. The new space is awesome. We have two yoga rooms, one room for meditation, three healing rooms and a child care center. On staff is an acupuncturist, a hypnotherapist, a spiritual counselor, a chiropractor and many more. We are equipped to help you through any situation.

The yoga is donation only. People come and they give what they can to practice. You’d be amazed at how truly generous people are. All the proceeds from yoga go to benefit charities. The studio sustains itself through website sales. Not to mention, my detox book sold very well.

Every single day is an adventure and a blessing. To be in a position to help and serve others is a dream for me. I want to touch as many people as I can so that they too can live their best life ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment