Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Do only that which you do not regret

The theme of "boundaries" continues to come up. I've been reluctant to address this theme as I don't really understand it. For me, boundaries seem instinctive and I truly haven't felt the need to put too much thought or time into them. When I was younger, I had none. Now that I have been through some of life, I feel that I probably do have some. I did a little research and found out that most psychologists would categorize the following as healthy boundaries:

• You are not responsible for others.
• You do not take on the moods and feelings of others.
• You do not please others.
• You are not a Victim.
• You say No.
• You express your wants and needs.

Ouch. It appears to me that in different situations or with different people, I have different boundaries. It also comes to me that establishing boundaries that are healthy means putting effort into every situation and every person that I encounter. This is work. This means detangling myself from needy people, distancing myself from total grumps and energy suckers, being myself, being strong and confident, saying no without guilt, KNOWING what I want and need and finally finding my voice to communicate to the other what my needs are. This also seems like a fluid process in that I am constantly changing. What does this mean from a yogic perspective?

Psychological Boundaries

Yogi Thoughts

You are not responsible for others.

Practice non-attachment. The best thing you can do for a person is to be kind, compassionate and understanding. Listen, but know that you can never fix another person's problem. The soul's journey is singular.

You do not take on the moods and feelings of others.

Assume that the entire universe is conspiring for your success. Surround yourself with supportive and loving friends and family. (Yes, that means some people in your life will go away).

You do not please others.

Listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, then it isn't. Only do what resonates in your heart.

You are not a Victim.

Take responsibility for your life. Every choice you have made to this date has put you in this moment. If you don't like this moment, then change it by making better choices today. Always ask: Does this bring myself and others happiness? If the answer is yes, it is the right choice.

You say No.

Say No.

You express your wants and needs.

Work on your intentions and desires. Know what you want. Love yourself enough to know that if you express yourself and the other person can't honor it, then you don't need that person in your life.

Good luck yogis. We will be working together on this one!




No comments:

Post a Comment