Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Probiatics and digestion

When preventative medicine fails, you find yourself in a situation where Western Medicine is the only way to go. Yesterday I had a root canal. It could have been prevented, but I probably would have needed to know a little more at a very young age when I developed a cavity in that tooth. The cavity led to a filling which led to teeth grinding which led to a crown which ended in the root canal. Some metaphysicist somewhere would probably tell me it started in my emotional body and I need to release something, but I will tell you that at that very young age when I got that cavity, I didn't know about the emotional body either.

It wasn't all bad. Lots of numbing medicine and 38 minutes later I was free and at the pharmacy filling a prescription for antibiotics. Having a passion for holistic medicine, I was struck by the absolute necessity for taking this broad spectrum antibiotic that will not only kill the bacteria settled in the bone of my jaw, but also all the other "good" bacteria in my body. Back to prevention, I realize I need to add some probiotics into my diet to keep my digestion strong. I would have simply just grabbed some yogurt, but I ran across the table below which I found very interesting. Apparently, there are different probiotics for different things. I hope you find it helpful too.

I guess the lesson is that when prevention fails, you need to go to your doctor. When he prescribes medicine, educate yourself about the side effects and make some decisions on diet, routine and supplements that can facilitate your recovery and minimize side effects.


This Information was gathered from
Health.com

Name Helps fight Dosage Purchase info
Culturelle supplements Antibiotic stomach upset, colds and flu, maybe eczema One capsule a day $22.99 for a 1-month supply; drugstores
Florastor supplements Antibiotic stomach upset, traveler’s diarrhea Two capsules a day $35.99 for 50 capsules; drugstore.com
Digestive Advantage and Sustenex supplements Antibiotic stomach upset One capsule a day $10.49–$15.99 for a 1-month supply; drugstores and natural-products stores
Fem-Dophilus or RepHresh Pro-B supplements Vaginal and urinary infections One capsule a day $17.49–$31 for a 1-month supply; drugstores and natural-products stores
DanActive dairy drink Colds and flu One (3.3-ounce) bottle a day $2.69 for a 4-pack; supermarkets
Attune bars Colds and flu One (80- to 170-calorie) bar a day $1.60–$2.10 per bar; supermarkets and natural-products stores
Align supplements Irritable bowel One capsule a day $29.99 for a 1-month supply; select drugstores
Good Belly probiotic fruit drink Irritable bowel One (2.7-ounce) bottle a day $4.49 for a 4-pack; select supermarkets and natural-products stores
Stonyfield organic yogurt Eczema One cup a day $1.99 for a 4-pack; supermarkets and natural-foods stores

No comments:

Post a Comment