Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Plants

I love my plants. I don't have many because I have much fear and guilt due to past experiences that left many dead. I'm sorry guys.

I love these creatures because they communicate so clearly. When they need attention, nourishment and love, they simply droop in the most dramatic sad way. When I continue to not meet their needs they turn brown and lose body parts. The past has shown that if left ignored, they will leave me.

I wish humans were so clear in their communication. Honestly, I can figure it out in another human, but I wish I personally had the opportunity to simply droop when I need attention, nourishment and love. I hope that I wouldn't need to go further and actually turn brown and lose body parts, but it would attention. I can confirm that the plants and I share the same habit of leaving when ignored.

We are trained to put on our happy faces and just go out in the world. Grief is a badge of shame. Anger is a shunned emotion. Sadness may be contagious and those showing it should be avoided. Perhaps these are all just subtle or not so subtle displays of drooping. What is going on behind the happy faces?

I'm going to start thinking of humans as plants. When their heads are down, when their eyes don't meet mine, when their voice is enthusiastic in a false tone, when they answer that they are "fine", I'm going to pay attention. I'm going to nourish and love them through kind words, kind deeds, compassionate listening and hugs. Please do the same for my inner plant.

Namaste.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today shall find you to be the brightest sunflower, head uplifted to the sky, glorying in the sun's rays, well-grounded, and absorbing all of the nutrients of air, earth, and sky as well as all of the good energies and spiritual harmonies that you have engendered and that are returning back to you manifold ! Namaste !

    ReplyDelete