Friday, June 5, 2009

Doggie Droppings

I have two dogs. One is an adorable and sweet golden retriever named Cheddar. The other is a fierce little yorkie named Spicer, but we call him Napolean...you can imagine. Needless to say, they poop a lot. Daily. I can't stand to let it sit in the yard so I'm out there every day picking up poop and putting in the doggie doo composter. Every single day I have to pick up this poop which never stops. It just keeps coming. I've switched foods around to see if it makes a difference...it doesn't. I will warn you to never let your dog jump on the counter and eat a whole pizza....that was a bad week.

So, if everything means something, then what does this neverending chore of poop scooping represent in my life? It represents one of the five Niyamas....Tapas. Tapas is a Sanskrit word that means "discipline". As a yogi, it is natural that you will embrace the Eight Limbs of Yoga. The Niyamas (one of eight limbs) govern personal conduct. Tapas is one of 5 codes of conduct.

Tapas in my life means waking up each day and expressing gratitude for everything in my life...the good and the bad. It means spending time each day in silence meditating. It means doing a little yoga and taking care of my body each day. It means being kind and compassionate throughout my day. It means pausing in my moments to stay present in them. Finally, it means expressing gratitude for everything in my life...the good and the bad...before I go to bed each night. That's Tapas.

Just like the doggie poo, if ignored and left lying around, my life too begins to spoil the grass and the landscape of my existence. Pick up your doo daily. Stay present as you do it. Pause to throw the tennis ball to your doggie inbetween piles.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pam, thanks for sharing your thoughts on Tapas. Sometimes we think that the ordinary will disapear when we travel on the journey towards enlightenment. It is a good reminder that we still need to "chop wodd and carry water" as Thomas Merton liked to say. He also said that "when I chop wood, I chop wood and when I carry water, I carry water". Making all things a meditation in mindfulness keeps us conected to our true selves and in the moment...even when picking up the poop in our lives. One person's poop is another person's compost -- leading to beautiful flowers.
    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ralph, I love this!! You make me want to get out there and scoop the doo. I hope you are healing well. The ladies are very excited about your face-reading event. I can't wait to see you! Namaste.

    ReplyDelete