Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Wisdom of Babes

I have a problem with animals. I can't resist them. I turn 5 when I am in a pet store. I would like to have one of every color, shape and size. We now have a family rule which is "no more pets".

My daughter and I went to the pet store to get tadpools for the pond. Technically, tadpools cannot be considered pets as they are wild creatures and fend for themselves. Of course, the list of pond needs grew to goldfish and guppies. That seemed fine as they eat each other and support the "fend for yourself" ideal. Then we saw the turtle. He requires plants, special food and things to sit on. He clearly has personality and can't quite fend for himself.

That turtle would be deemed a "pet". I said "no". My heart said "yes, please please please". My daughter was begging. I looked that little girl straight in the eye and in my best impersonation of a mother I said "Katie, someone has to be a grown-up and make a firm decision here...." Before I could go on she stomped her foot, crossed her arms and said, "Fine. I will be the grown up. We are getting the turtle." He seems very happy in our pond.

Listen to your children. They are free and full of grace. They are the closest thing to spirit that can directly communicate with you. They understand that the reason we are here is to play....leela. We are here to enjoy every minute of our and our turtle's existence.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment